Latest News

Your gift offers more than just better health in our community

Latest News

Your gift offers more than just better health in our community

McHappy Day® 2022 to Support Northumberland Hills Hospital Foundation

McHappy Day® 2022 to Support Northumberland Hills Hospital Foundation


For Immediate Release

April 6, 2022

NORTHUMBERLAND COUNTY – Northumberland Hills Hospital (NHH) Foundation is excited to be working with a new community partner – one many would recognize by their iconic golden arches. The three McDonald’s® restaurants of west Northumberland have chosen NHH Foundation to be the local recipient of their annual McHappy Day® fundraiser on May 11, 2022.

“We are truly honoured to have been chosen as the local recipient of McHappy Day this year,” says Rhonda Cunningham, NHH Foundation Executive Director. “The timing for this new partnership couldn’t be better as we face significant capital costs ahead to help our hospital remain vibrant with the advanced technology and equipment required to care for our growing community.”

May 11 marks the official McHappy Day this year; an annual day of community giving across Canada to support Ronald McDonald Houses and other local charities selected by individual franchises. On the event day, 10% of all product sales from McDonald’s restaurants in Cobourg and Port Hope will go to McHappy Day fundraising, with 75% of this directed to NHH Foundation as the organization’s local charity of choice. The remaining 25% of funds raised will be directed to Ronald McDonald House Charities.

“Being a newer member of the NHH Foundation team, it’s been wonderful to see the support so many within our local business community have for our hospital, and partnerships like this really demonstrate the difference one organization can make,” shares Megan Fluxgold, NHH Foundation’s Community Engagement and Events Specialist. “We’re thrilled to be working with McDonald’s and looking forward to helping welcome guests on May 11.”

“McHappy Day is a long-standing tradition and is at the heart of who we are and what we do at McDonald's,” says Lisa Wilson, Owner and Operator of McDonald’s restaurants in Cobourg and Port Hope. “We look forward to bringing our guests, our wonderful staff and our resilient community together as we thank and show our support for our community hospital through our McHappy Day fundraising for the Northumberland Hills Hospital Foundation and Ronald McDonald House Charities this year."

Marking the 28th McHappy Day for McDonald’s Canada, this is the company's longest running and largest community charitable initiative, with more than 1,400 McDonald's restaurants celebrating McHappy Day this year.

Participating local restaurants supporting NHH Foundation are located at:

  • 805 William Street in Cobourg
  • 73 Strathy Road, Cobourg (inside Walmart)
  • 175 Rose Glen Road North in Port Hope.

While most of the event activities will take place on McHappy Day, these three local McDonald’s restaurants will also be asking for donations and incorporating fundraising efforts throughout the month of April to help maximize their impact.

For more information on how you can support NHH, visit

View all